Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Do I want a trailer jack for my little trailer

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 14:22:43 -0500, mm
wrote:

Do I want a trailer jack for my little trailer?

I'm buying a small trailer, only 4' x 8' bed, the one that folds in
half sold by Harbor Freight and NorthernTools (I'm not saying they're
the same, but similar). Buying it new, with new tires.

I just put mine on the road a couple months ago. [It took me
*several* hours to put it all together- so I hope you have a long
weekend planned with your brother.] I picked my jack up at garage
sale for $5, but it is like the $20 HF one-

Aside from keeping me from looking for a block every time I take the
trailer off the car-- it always holds the tongue up-- and makes a fine
handle to grab on to drag my (now 3 wheeled) trailer to the car.
Then it adjusts up and down over the ball saving my back when it has a
load. [not that the tongue is heavy-- but my back is old and has
suffered a great deal of abuse over the years]

-snip-
In fact, I plan to use the trailer only once, to go from Dallas to
Baltimore, and I don't expect to put the trailer on the hitch more
than once, or take it off more than once. At the start and at the
end. Since I have no place to keep the trailer, I'll have to sell it,
cheap. So should I buy the jack?

If you've really got to sell it- then you'll probably not use the jack
for a single trip. But if I was looking at a 'used once' trailer to
buy- that extra gadget would be a good selling point. [If I were
you I'd probably also use pressure treated lumber for the bed and
rails- $30 more right now- but will make it stand out when you sell
it.]

Should I buy a spare wheel, tire, and spare tire carrier, for a total
of 40 dollars? I'm not made of money.

I'd save that $40 for a single trip.

BTW- what kind of car is towing this-- and are you buying a hitch?

What part of the world do you live in that doesn't have small trailers
for rent? [at either end of the trip?]

Jim