Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default Electric motor reversing question

Joe
When I put a reversing switch on a motor I use one that has a "dead"
position in the center so that I can not forget to turn the motor off before
changing direction. On the other hand I am a devote coward who hates pain to
himself or the lathe :-)

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

"Joe Fleming" wrote in message
ups.com...
All,

I am adding a motor to a mini lathe and have a wiring question. The
motor I have is reversible. I can add a switch to the circuit to
switch polarity and change rotation direction. Here is the question:

Can I switch the motor from forward to backward when the motor is
already turning? Or do I need to cut power and stop the rotation
first, before switching direction and reapplying power?

Thanks,
Joe Fleming - San Diego