Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Replacement for stereo receiver??

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 20:58:59 GMT, yourname wrote:

AS you surmise, new is not always better. don't discount ebay, find the
seller 'capeannaudio', he specializes in good quality stereo gear from
the 80's and 90's ][and older] and can usually find you a good deal on a
real stereo. My ~2000 receiver had no more power than my 1978 20 watt
and sounded worse. I bought a replacement from him and love it.

I bought a Technics receiver, dual cassette deck, and surround sound
from about 1988, for 10 dollars on Sunday. Probably sold for more
than 600 dollars originally. His parents had moved out of state and
the house was sold and he had until the 18th to get rid of everythign.

On another occaions I passed up a Marantz receiver and some other
device (cassette?) for 10 dollars, because I didn't need it, but I
regretted it so I bought these.

Puddin' Man wrote:
'allo,

I built this 'ere pc from components (my 3rd build), but the world of
"Consumer Electronics" has been grinding out stuff for which I have
no use for years and years. So I got no celly-phone, no Xbox,
no Blackberry, no GPS, etc.

And no quadraphonic sound (or whatever they call it nowadaze).

What I've got is a little 20-yr-old Technics stereo receiver in my
little home that has powered 5 sets of speakers for about 20 years.
Such receiver appears to be rolling over and dying (tons of static
and can't balance the 2 stereo channels).

What might I be able to do in terms of replacing the stereo receiver
(other than another 198x model from Ebay that might not last long)?
Are there any good, reasonably priced -stereo- receivers presently on
the market? Fancy-Dancy new receivers effectively supporting old-style
stereo??

I admit ignorance of most all "current" developments in the home
audio market: haven't had time to follow any of it.

Any/all help/info etc much appreciated.

Cheers,
Puddin'

Pease pudding hot,