Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Do I want a trailer jack for my little trailer

On 8 Jan 2007 20:51:18 -0800, "DerbyDad03"
wrote:

A friend once told me about the time the military was shipping him
cross country from one station to another. They wouldn't pay to ship
his girlfriend's stuff or pay her airfare, so he talked them into
giving him the money that they would have paid for shipping his stuff
and his travel expenses. He was going to drive his car and they were
going to give him mileage.

He took the money, rented a big Ryder truck, loaded a bunch of stuff
into his car and drove it into the truck. They then packed all the rest
of their stuff around the car and drove the truck cross country.

Great story!

When I thought I was taking two dressers, the desk, and the
nighttable, I looked into renting a truck. almost 1000 dollars to go
one-way. (Now a truck trip I could have done in the winter, but if
I'm taking my convertible, I want to wait until the weather is
warmer.)

When I foudn out my nephew was using most of the furniture, I looked
into a cargo van. It was only 240 dollars for the time they allotted
for this distance (7 days I think) but they charged 480 for returning
the van to Dallas, and another 180+ dollars for other charges, so more
than 900. This will be about 100 dollars each way for gas, plus the
200 for the trailer, minus the 100 dollars I would have spent for a
one-way flight. So it is only 200 more than flying there and back.
As opposed to 800 dollars more. Plus I get ten days or more of
tourism. Mammoth Caves, Memphis, Nashville, Elvis, Little Rock,
Diamond State park (where you can look for your own diamonds. 6
dollars for the afternoon iirc, and keep what you find) and Hope
Arkensas. Plus lots of other things I'll see.

Dang, I just remembered the book case! I don't think they're using
that, so I guess I'll take it too. But it weighs little and will sit
atop the dresser. Gas mileage will be lwow and may cost another
??50/100?? dollars. Maybe I should make a shroud like semis use above
the cab. I wonder how.

mm wrote:
On 8 Jan 2007 16:02:19 -0800, "Tater" wrote:

mm wrote:
Do I want a trailer jack for my little trailer?

NO!

RENT!

One can't rent a really small trailer, and I can't pull any trailer
much bigger than this, because I have no frame. My car doesn't have a
frame either.