Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacement for stereo receiver??

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Bob F" wrote in message
. ..

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 17:58:12 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 20:51:33 GMT, Puddin' Man
wrote:

'allo,

I built this 'ere pc from components (my 3rd build), but the world of
"Consumer Electronics" has been grinding out stuff for which I have
no use for years and years. So I got no celly-phone, no Xbox,
no Blackberry, no GPS, etc.

And no quadraphonic sound (or whatever they call it nowadaze).

What I've got is a little 20-yr-old Technics stereo receiver in my
little home that has powered 5 sets of speakers for about 20 years.
Such receiver appears to be rolling over and dying (tons of static
and can't balance the 2 stereo channels).

(snip)

Well, some controls, usually cheaper ones, will actually deteriorate
inside, and if that's the case, the cleaner spray will do nothing. For
dust, using not enough spray will sometimes just relocate the dust. Keep
in mind that most people NEVER open up stereos (or computers) to vacuum
out the dust.

Chuckle. Dust or anything else. Most of my stereo/TV equipment came out of
the dumpsters at the apartments I used to live at, and the rest came from
garage sales or ebay. The dumpster stuff usually got peed in by a cat or a
drunk, and blasting the motherboard with contact cleaner brought it right
back. Sometimes I had to replace fuses that gave their lives protecting the
unit from dead shorts. I even made some money selling a few salvaged
receivers at my sister's garage sale a couple years ago. I doubt I have more
than 200 bucks in the 2 complete stereo setups I currently have, including
some nice speakers.

Don't forget, for most people, electronics is PFM, and it would never occur
to them to open the cases. I'm no engineer or electronics expert, but I am
willing to degunk and fix trivial/cheap stuff. I wouldn't pay a bench fee,
but for a nice piece, I'll spend an hour or two putzing around before I give
up.

aem sends...