Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Air Handler & Rep Woes

sandraDEE wrote:
Thanks so much for the detailed and informative reply! I posted this in
the HVAC forum thinking it would be more appropriate there and got such
a vitriolic profanity-riddled response that I was a little worried to
even check back here!

I think you pegged the contract - although I believe it also states
that if the intended system does not perform as expected, it would fall
under the service guarantee.

We also think it should have raised some red flags for them. We weren't
sure about this as a stand-alone unit, but the sales person was certain
it would work well with just the two heat strips for heating as well as
our old oil furnace did. We had told him that we wanted to go with a
standard electric forced-air furnace, but he assured us that this air
handler, although usually coupled with a heat pump, should be able to
provide adequate heat to keep the home comfortable.

What we would ideally like is for them to cover the labor associated
with getting this thing to work as they said it would, while we would
cover the cost of the additional capacity (larger unit, more heat
strips, etc.). That seems fair to us, as we would gladly have bought a
larger unit if the salesperson has recommended it - but he felt this
would do the job fine. Unfortunately, he has evidently told his service
manager that he told us it wouldn't work well and yet we chose to do it
anyway (this is what is so maddening -we never would have agreed if he
hadn't assured us it would work without the heat pump).

At present, the company is sending out a more experienced tech to see
if heat strips can be added. Then the negotation over solutions will
likely begin. We do not in any way want something for nothing...we're
just frustrated that the sales rep assured us of something that was
evidently not the case, and that having convinced us to make a choice
based on that assurance, now won't stand by it. We did a bunch of
homework on this and had so many options and questions that nothing
seemed better than anything else...so when we asked and he confirmed
that this would work as a stand-alone unit while we saved up for an
eventual heat pump install, we foolishly trusted him. Now he's implying
that he cautioned against it but that we insisted. Oy!

Today, the service manager asked why we thought a half-system solution
would work and said that it raised red flags for him and that he
discussed it with the sales rep before the install. We told him that we
trusted the salesperson...and asked why they advocated selling it to us
if they knew it wouldn't work. He didn't have any answer to that aside
from advocating that we spend another $5000 and get the heat pump.

As for the heat pump question...we're in the Pacific Northwest, and in
the winter, the temps do drop below the level at which a heat pump
evidently functions effectively...but at this point, likely faced with
having to either get an electric furnace (what we should have done
initially) and eat the money we've already spent, or spend another $5K
for a heat pump and rewiring, we'll likely go the pump route, but not
with this company.

Thanks again. I appreciate the honesty and respectful response.

I agree w/ Edwin -- I don't think you should walk away from this
installer just yet. Particularly if it is a relatively small outfit,
I'd really make the effort to talk w/ the owner or senior partner if at
all possible.

Surely there was some sizing calculation done? Ask to see it and how
the salesman sized the unit -- if there's no answer or an
unsatisfactory one, that's a big plus in your favor in my opinion. If
they're as reputable as your other research seems, that should be a
real indication to the upper level guys they sales rep you had didn't
do you right.

I'd also echo the advice I just gave to the guy ranting on the Sears
installation -- follow this up with a formal letter outlining the the
entire transaction from your perspective. Don't be belligerent or
accusatory, just factual as you understand the facts. You might
outline what you think would be a fair solution as well, although
before doing this you just might want to talk to an attorney for
advice. I'd probably suggest that step anyway simply to get some input
on what you should do to ensure any rights you do have. This is one
that probably won't come to litigation, but a little up front research
can save a bunch of grief later on. It's much easier to
over-gird-up-the-forces than to try to recover later if should have.

Good luck, but I'd really try to work something out with this bunch
rather than going elsewhere from what you've said...