Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air Handler & Rep Woes

"sandraDEE" wrote in message
Today, the service manager asked why we thought a half-system solution
would work and said that it raised red flags for him and that he
discussed it with the sales rep before the install. We told him that we
trusted the salesperson...and asked why they advocated selling it to us
if they knew it wouldn't work. He didn't have any answer to that aside
from advocating that we spend another $5000 and get the heat pump.

As for the heat pump question...we're in the Pacific Northwest, and in
the winter, the temps do drop below the level at which a heat pump
evidently functions effectively...but at this point, likely faced with
having to either get an electric furnace (what we should have done
initially) and eat the money we've already spent, or spend another $5K
for a heat pump and rewiring, we'll likely go the pump route, but not
with this company.

You already received the technical information you needed, but the problem
now, of course is the resolution. We already know the salesman is sleazy
and not to be trusted. The service manager seems to know what he is doing,
but does not have the authority to make good on what the sleazy salesperson
did.

First, you have the legal contract. You bought X product. The company
installed X product. As long as it works to the specifications of the
product, they have fulfilled their legal obligation.

Next, though, is a moral obligation. As a homeowner, you probably have
limited knowledge of heating systems. That is why you call in experts.
Just as you'd call in a doctor for a gall bladder operation, the heating
contractor is who you call for getting your house warmed up. Had the
service manager made a phone call to you, this would not have happened.
Flags were there, but either ignored or taken away by sleazy salesman.

Who owns the company? Can you sit down with him, one on one, explain the
situation and ask for help? If he is reputable,, concerned about what his
sales people are doing, he may be willing to assist in making things right.
I doubt he is going to give you a $5000 heat pump, but he may do it at cost,
much less than the guy down the street. At least try to talk with him
before you burn a bridge that you want to use a few years from now.