Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Do I want a trailer jack for my little trailer

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 00:59:52 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

Lawrence wrote:

mm wrote:
Do I want a trailer jack for my little trailer?

I think not. My trailer which is much larger has has two different
trailer jacks both of which I have managed to wreck don't ask me how.
So now i just use my trusty floor jack if I need some help. you will
need no jack for the tiny little trailer you describe since you will be
able to lift it without a jack.

My trailer has a typical loaded tongue weight of about 960# and the jack
on it does just fine. Not sure how you killed yours.

He was probably using it in a gang fight.

At any rate, I'll bet it wasn't being used as desgined.

For the little trailer though the loaded tongue weight should never be
over 120#, typically much less so it should be perfectly manageable
without a jack.

Derby Dad has given me pause, but if I were to want one, I realize I
don't have to buy it at the same time or same place as the trailer.

I have realized that maybe I can squeeze the trailer in somewhere,
maybe even build a shed in a way I hadn't thought of before, because
it will be very hard for me to part with a trailer that is only two
weeks old, even if it does have 1200 miles on it.

Of course if I could get 200 for a 250 trailer... Well, I'm going to
try this spring to sell a trailer hitch cargo carrier that is better
than new, because I put carpeting on the ends to protect the floor,
and red and white striped reflective strips on 3 sides. Less demand
for that then a trailer, so I expect to sell it for half or less of
what I paid. I bought a lighter one, that uses a wood bottom I make
myself. The old one is so heavy I can barely carry it to the car, and
certainly can't carry it down the steps to the basement.