Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How often do you replace your oven/range

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
My concern is that over time it may become hazardous due to the effects of
heat and high amperage. So I'm thinking, do I replace when it finally
burns down the house, or replace every 15 years, 20 years, when it becomes
a major eyesore??

I'm inclined to go with the last choice, but then again I have better
things to do with 1000 bucks.

I've bought two in 41 years. The first was when we did a major kitchen
remodel of the old house. The other is when I got fed up with an electric
and changed over to a gas range, about 20 years ago. In all that time, I
replaced the oven igniter and the clock (that we never used) no longer
works. It is showing its age, but still works/cooks perfectly. The only
reason to replace it is for looks, not use.

I may replace it next year. It comes down to priorities. My vacation plans
are made for this year and I don't want to spend money on a new range just
for looks. I don't want to trade my plane tickets for a shiny appliance.
Of course, I may wait another year because I'm already thinking of where I
want to be in 2008.