Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default Paint Peeling

"NickySantoro" wrote in message
On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 21:25:23 -0500, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

I hired someone to paint the exterior of my house.

The contract called for repairing cracks/chips and cleaning exterior
walls, cleaning exterior walls with TSP, pressure washing exterior walls,
prime with one coat of "One coat of Benjamin Moore Exterior 100% acrylic
primer FRESH START" then two coats of "Two coats of Benjamin Moore Flat
Exterior 100% acrylic paint".

I was not home to inspect the progress of the job but I did check it every
day at the end of the day.

The work was done in November 2006 (less than two months ago) and now I
see paint peeling on the exterior walls near where there are corners. Not
everywhere but may be about fifteen spots are peeling, also had a couple
places I see shallow "bubbles" and when I press I feel it being spongy.

I am not sure what happened. When I inspected the peeled paint, I only
see one coat of paint, but I am not so familiar with painting that it
would be obvious if there were two coats, I just sort of expected two
layers of peeled paint. I did ask the contractor and he assured me two
coats were applied. So is it possible the surface preparations were not
done properly?

Any advise?

MC

I've been using Moore almost exclusively in my business for the last
30 years and I've yet to come across defective product. Mislabeled as
to color yes, defective no. The problem, as usual, almost certainly
stems from improper preparation and/or improper application. Since you
were not at home during the process can you verify that..
-The problem surface wash thoroughly washed?
-That the primer was actually applied?
-That the primer was dry before a top coat was applied? (about 4 to 6
hours will usually do it on a decent day. Overnight is better)

I cannot verify any of that. I let him do his job. I did negotiate the
contract and only pay him for labor and I specified the materials (primer
and paint), and paid him the materials when he presented me with the
receipts.

I saw him bought the BM primer and paint in five gallons buckets. Towards
the end I have a few empty five gallon buckets so I assumed the primer was
applied. I have no way to know if it was applied after the previous coat
was dry.

MC