Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Yukio YANO Yukio YANO is offline

Default How compact fluorescents may affect your electronics

It can't be all three boxes, I mused. Something must be interfering

I spent a winter in Arizona, traveling in a large Motor Home !!

When the 12Volt DC. Fluorescent Lights were On, The TV remote
controllers were blocked !!! unless the Remote Control Receivers'
Sensors were shaded from the light from the Fluorescent Tubes.

A few moments of analysis concluded that the ~15KC modulation of the
remote controllers were probably overwhelmed by the ~15KC Modulation of
the Fluorescent Tubes being driven by the 12Volt DC. Ballasts ! Just
shading the R/C Sensors from the direct output of the Fluorescent Tubes
solved the immediate problems. I presume that this is the nature of the
Beast that you are attempting to describe. I made no attempt to measure
the frequencies involved, since the Sunshades solved most of the
problems. It wouldn't take much effort to hook up a Scope to measure the
frequency of the R/C, the 12Volt Ballast operated Fluorescent Lamps
would be a little more difficult due to the distances involved !

Yukio YANO
VE5YS