Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Do I want a trailer jack for my little trailer

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 20:52:16 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote:

Tongue weight should be about 10% of gross trailer weight, and both
tongue and gross weights will be limited by your tow vehicle and hitch.
A trailer of the type you indicate should pretty much never have a
tongue weight over 120# so you can probably do just fine without a jack.

A spare wheel/tire assy. is a good idea if you expect to tow it a lot. A
tire carrier isn't worthwhile since the tire is small and you should be
able to just strap it down with the load or keep it in the two vehicle.

Well, as I said, I like gadgets, but I'll control myself and skip this
one.

If you don't tow a lot, don't tow in remote areas and don't tow anything
too valuable you can pretty readily skip the spare tire. If you do get a
flat you just leave the trailer on the side of the road for an hour
while you got to and Lowe's, Home Depot, Auto parts store, etc. and buy
a tire/wheel assy. for $30.

Thanks. I feel better now. The dresser has been mine since I was 6
and it's beautiful, but it's not likely someone will steal it, even if
I have to leave it**. I can even chain up the trailer if I have to
leave it. So I'm going to order the trailer right now, and have it
shipped to my brother in Dallas.

**Not likely that anyone will want it, but I'm going to put a switch
under the dresser so that it sets off the car's burglar alarm if
someone tries to take it while I'm in a motel or camping at night.

(Also very unlikely, but when one has had things stolen, he becomes
touchy about it. My car once, though I went and found it, but
everything in the trunk was missing. A roommate' subtenant stole my
desk, deskchair, electric drill, and propane torch once when I was
working out of town. And a second time everything in the trunk of my
convertible. That was 24 years ago, but still. Oh, yeah, someone once
stole 2 lawn mowers from behind my house, but I had spent hours trying
to make either of them work and was only saving them for parts! I'll
bet they were disappointed when they got them home and couldn't start
them!)