Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] anthonymmfalcone@yahoo.com is offline

Default Backup generator maintenance question

Hi Readers,

I live in New York State and just bought a brand new Briggs&Stratton
5500W generator to be used in the rare event of emergency backup (i.e.
ice storm and no power for days). I've yet to add oil or gasoline,
but I have the containers ready and am comfortable doing it by
flashlight if needed. I would like to do as little maintenance as
possible on the generator (within reason) without jeapordizing it.
What's better for the engine: leave it dry and empty until needed
(maybe months or years!), or add oil and gas (and gas stabilizer) and
run every couple of months? It's kept under a tarp in the garage, but
the garage does get humid during wet weather.

All advice greatly appreciated.

Regards,
-Tony