Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacement for stereo receiver??

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 17:58:12 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 20:51:33 GMT, Puddin' Man
wrote:

'allo,

I built this 'ere pc from components (my 3rd build), but the world of
"Consumer Electronics" has been grinding out stuff for which I have
no use for years and years. So I got no celly-phone, no Xbox,
no Blackberry, no GPS, etc.

And no quadraphonic sound (or whatever they call it nowadaze).

What I've got is a little 20-yr-old Technics stereo receiver in my
little home that has powered 5 sets of speakers for about 20 years.
Such receiver appears to be rolling over and dying (tons of static
and can't balance the 2 stereo channels).

What might I be able to do in terms of replacing the stereo receiver
(other than another 198x model from Ebay that might not last long)?
Are there any good, reasonably priced -stereo- receivers presently on
the market? Fancy-Dancy new receivers effectively supporting old-style
stereo??

I admit ignorance of most all "current" developments in the home
audio market: haven't had time to follow any of it.

Any/all help/info etc much appreciated.

Cheers,

Don't replace it. The static and balance problem you are having is
most likely dirty potentiometers. Go to Radio Shack and purchase
an aerosol can of contact cleaner. Open the case of the stereo and
with the unit unplugged spray into the cracks and holes of the various
pots. Turn them back and forth while spraying.

Potentiometers are "sliders"? My Technics SA-R210 stereo receiver
has buttons for all but the graphic eq. which has sliders.

Does it still sound like contact cleaner would help?

Yes. Go buy it immediately and report back with your results. Keep in mind
that these controls often need to be FLOODED with the stuff to get all the
dust out. When you're done, you will walk away for 10 minutes to be sure the
cleaner has evaporated. Then, you'll try the stereo.