Posted to alt.home.repair
Puddin' Man Puddin' Man is offline

Default Replacement for stereo receiver??

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 21:09:48 GMT, "Jeff" wrote:

Do you still use a turntable occasionally?

How'd you know? :-)

If so you need one with a phono
input.

Which I entirely forgot about ...

Most new ones have dropped this.

Mighta figgered.

Might check out Craigslist and
find someone who would let you try theirs before buying it.

Makes it a bit trickier.

Thx,

"yourname" wrote in message
AS you surmise, new is not always better. don't discount ebay, find the
seller 'capeannaudio', he specializes in good quality stereo gear from the
80's and 90's ][and older] and can usually find you a good deal on a real
stereo. My ~2000 receiver had no more power than my 1978 20 watt and
sounded worse. I bought a replacement from him and love it.

Puddin' Man wrote:
'allo,

I built this 'ere pc from components (my 3rd build), but the world of
"Consumer Electronics" has been grinding out stuff for which I have
no use for years and years. So I got no celly-phone, no Xbox, no
Blackberry, no GPS, etc.

And no quadraphonic sound (or whatever they call it nowadaze).

What I've got is a little 20-yr-old Technics stereo receiver in my little
home that has powered 5 sets of speakers for about 20 years. Such
receiver appears to be rolling over and dying (tons of static and can't
balance the 2 stereo channels).

What might I be able to do in terms of replacing the stereo receiver
(other than another 198x model from Ebay that might not last long)? Are
there any good, reasonably priced -stereo- receivers presently on
the market? Fancy-Dancy new receivers effectively supporting old-style
stereo??

I admit ignorance of most all "current" developments in the home
audio market: haven't had time to follow any of it.

Any/all help/info etc much appreciated.

Cheers,
Puddin'

"A truly good birddawg, even if you never, ever hunt her,
is a Precious, Precious Thing! Mayhap ruin ya for
homo sapiens ..."