Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Alasdair Campbell Alasdair Campbell is offline

Default SHARP 28JW-73H - - Need Help with Service Mode Adjustments

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
I answered you in another thread. May I suggest that in the future, you
not create multiple threads as this adds to the confusion. Your question
is technically specific to the brand and model of your Sharp TV and would
be better answered by someone who has had these same problems. Maybe the
adjustments are not being stored? You mentioned they should be
automatically applied. My Panasonic 51" RP needs a confirmation to write
the data. Unless you're lucky enough to find someone here that has worked
on this set and experienced the same problems and has resolved them, you
might want to contact Sharp tech support and see what they have to say.
Glad you found the link I posted useful.

Yeah that link was brilliant, and I've just had a look through the rest of
the site, there's so many articles on things I'm interested in - all in one
place, thanks again.

I went into the service mode after setting the gain/cutoff levels and
pressed a combination of buttons, power cycled and the picture was as good
as it was in service mode, so a sort of success although the image isn't
perfect - see below - and I couldn't say for sure which button caused the Tv
to update the eeprom.

I'm a litle bit wary of adjusting those values again incase the eeprom trips
out again and I'm left with a really bad picture. However in the interests
of mental health I would still be keen on tweaking the values to get the
best image possible.

Other than the instructions given in the service manual I quoted in a
previous email (in this thread) are there easier ways to set the gain cutoff
accuratly with only basic tools - eg the EYES..?

Thats the sort of information I was looking for in the other thread. I was
aware that I could have confused matters by posting so soon after this
thread, but I wanted to make the distinction between the queries - that
query was me requesting more information on the calibration process, while
this post is to do with the specific Sharp eeprom problem.

I'm going to try Sharp general support line tomorrow and see if I can get
through to someone who knows about this sort of thing.

The TV is currently almost perfect except for a slight flicker. I'm sure
it's from the blue gun as it's primarily purples and blues that flicker. I
presume I need to modify the gain and or cut off values for it, but that is
where my expertise finishes.

Alasdair