Posted to misc.consumers.house
krw krw is offline

Default programmable thermostat

In article , Alan
says...
On 7 Jan 2007 20:29:27 -0800,
wrote:

Is there a general rule for how far you should set back your
thermostat? If you will be away from the house for over 8 hours,
should you set it back 5, 10, 15 degrees? Currently I have mine set to
75 when we are home and 68 when we leave. We are gone around 10-12
hours per day. This is a brand new home with a seperate systems for
upstairs and downstairs.

My furnace man says that a setback of 9 degrees f is really
the maximum -- even at 9 degrees, he says, it costs about as
much to reheat the house as if you kept it at the higher
temp all day.

Complete nonsense. The fuel needed to heat a house is proportional
to the difference in the temperature between the inside and
outside. The lower the temperature is held the lower the fuel
bill. There is no magic setback number where thermodynamics fails.

I'd set the lower temp at 8 down from your norm, and see how
that works.

I'd set it for whatever is comfortable and reasonable.

--
Keith