Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] bigjim@backpacker.com is offline

Default Replacement for stereo receiver??

best buy has a lame 2 channel receiver. Why not get with the times.

wrote:
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"Puddin' Man" wrote in message

'allo,

I built this 'ere pc from components (my 3rd build), but the world of
"Consumer Electronics" has been grinding out stuff for which I have
no use for years and years. So I got no celly-phone, no Xbox,
no Blackberry, no GPS, etc.

And no quadraphonic sound (or whatever they call it nowadaze).

What I've got is a little 20-yr-old Technics stereo receiver in my
little home that has powered 5 sets of speakers for about 20 years.
Such receiver appears to be rolling over and dying (tons of static
and can't balance the 2 stereo channels).

What might I be able to do in terms of replacing the stereo receiver
(other than another 198x model from Ebay that might not last long)?
Are there any good, reasonably priced -stereo- receivers presently on
the market? Fancy-Dancy new receivers effectively supporting old-style
stereo??

I admit ignorance of most all "current" developments in the home
audio market: haven't had time to follow any of it.

Any/all help/info etc much appreciated.

Call around to some actual stereo stores, not the big box idiots. Tell them
what you want, and what you DON'T want. These things still exist. I believe
NAD and Onkyo still make simple 2 channel receivers, for instance.

Example:
http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i

Does your old receiver have rotary controls? Does it seem like they might
just need cleaning? If so, head to Radio Shack for a spray can of tuner
cleaner, pop off the receiver's cover, and drench those controls with the
spray. You have to shoot it into the tiny hole on each control. Tuck a clean
rag under the controls so the stuff's not dripping onto your table.

I believe places like "Best Buy " still have the sort of thing you are
after.