Posted to alt.home.repair
sandraDEE sandraDEE is offline

Default Air Handler & Rep Woes

Hi there,

We recently decided to switch from our old oil furnace to an electric
system. After doing some research and conferring with the technician
from a company that does both oil and heat pump systems, we went with
an air handler that we were assured could heat our home *without* the
heat pump...the logic here was that at a later point (when we could
justify the additional $$$ cost), we might install a heat pump and if
so, would already have the air handler in place.

The problem is that the air handler cannot effectively heat the house.
Our house isn't huge, but it's evidently too large for the two heat
strips that provide the electric heat through the air handler. It takes
several hours for our house to climb to 66 degrees!

In talking with the installing company about this, the service manager
stated simply that we only purchased half a system and we shouldn't
have expected it to effectively heat our home, and that the rep told us
as much but we insisted on doing it anyway. Squeegee?? That's not how
the sales rep represented the situation at all. We were completely
clear with the rep that we were not interested in purchasing a heat
pump and he was clear that this air handler would still do the trick.
Why in the name of all things holy would we purchase a system that was
more expensive than a regular electric furance solution knowing it
wouldn't work?? Yeah. Right.

Now the company is balking.

So my questions a

1. Does anyone out there have just an air handler heating their home?
We have a Lennox cvx32MV 024/030 air handler with variable speed fan
and even heat strips (EvenHeater).

2. Anyone have any idea if additional strips can be added to this
model? Manufacturer's website is woefully lacking in info...

3. Anyone have any ideas on how to get the installing company to make
good on their word and guarantee? We think the rep just wasn't well
informed, but is now fibbing to cover his behind. Any suggestions? They
are a well-respected company with a great reputation and nary a
complaint to be found...not sure how to help them do the right thing in
this case...

Thanks for the help!