Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Paint Peeling

clipped
The west side however, has peelings near the bottom of the wall, about
1 foot up from the ground. Several spots, and some other spots at the
same height, has bubbles that when touched, feel spongy. I am sure if
I use a wire brush they will all come off easy. Near the top of the
wall are more pealings, there is no eave at the top of the wall,
because the wall protrudes above the roof. There are more visible
peelings near the top but I have not yet inspected those.

Yes it is CB and Stucco, in hot and humid Miami.

Thanks for the reply.

MC

Sounds like he either painted in direct sun and/or recoated too soon.
Present the guy with that idea. Cons have a more difficult time conning
when they realize you know something about the work they do.

I think the best approach, if there is no recourse through a license, is
small claims court. I would wager that most of the judges would know
the guy did bad work and know how it should have been done.

I would not wire brush small bubbles. You can pierce them with a pin,
they will flatten, and the paint film will remain intact. Make sure,
before you touch it, that you are done with your contractor or he can
blame problems on what you do.

Where the peeling is near the bottom of the wall, does the stucco go
below grade? That part of the wall wicks moisture from the ground,
stays wet and makes paint peel. Our contractor pressure washed below
grade - blasted soil away from the wall - so the wall would dry enough,
deep enough, that the paint did not peel. Went down about 8" or so.
Another good reason for not having landscaping right against a wall.

What is on top of the wall as a cap above where it peels?