Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Paul Paul is offline

Default Capacitor Polarity

....How can I determine the polarity of the capacitors? The
level of disassembly needed to get at these parts does not lend itself
to powering the unit up and measuring voltage accross the cap's.

At least some if not all of those caps should have the negative leads at
ground potential, so use your multimeter on Ohms or continuity setting and
find out which lead is negative that way, no need to power the unit up. Or
simply visually trace the cap lead to the ground plane on the PCB.

Morse

Thanks,
But none of the 6 caps of this type seem to be grounded on either side.
I guess I'll try to find non-polar caps small enough to fit (3mm x
5mm), unless I get other suggestions.

Paul