Santa Cruz Mike

Default Clark is correct

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 22:29:55 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 21:39:34 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
. ..

Can you find any better cites?

I don't know. I haven't tried, nor am I likely to bother.

If I wasted my time researching every load of bull**** you post here,
Gunner, I wouldn't have time to take a ****. As I've said, the safest

thing,
based on a few statistical samples of things I have checked, is to assume
that every quote of yours is complete bull**** and proceed accordingly.

Interesting. I see Ill have to start paying a bit more attention to
your spin on subjects and see just how high your bull**** factor is.

Again.

It won't be hard, Gunner. Unlike you, I check my sources and I check my
facts. It's a habit of mind, the exact opposite of the one that would let
you post five references in a single message from sources you don't know,
with no effort to corroborate them at all.

Ed Huntress

http://www.buckeyeinstitute.org/policy/1996_2.HTM
http://www.mosaicaeducation.com/paradox.html
In 1973, 60% of Americans thought their children were getting a better
education than they had received, while 20% thought it was worse. By
1994, only 42% thought children were getting a better education, while
51% said it was worse.

Nationally, all teachers - public and private - are 50% more likely
than the general public to send their children to private schools. In
the inner cities, 35-40% of public school teachers send their children
to private schools, in contrast to a mere 13% of the general
population.

71% of Americans grade U.S. schools below "C" and 54% give their own
schools a low grade as well, according to a 1995 Gallup poll.

The Wall Street Journal/NBC News December 1996 quarterly survey of
2,000 Americans reported that the top concern was improving public
education, cited by 57% of respondents (tied with reducing crime and
well ahead of such former front-runners as the federal deficit (40%)
or protecting the environment (26%)).

In terms of public elementary and secondary education, average real
expenditures per student have risen for more than a century, to $5,825
in 1993 (the last year for which data is available from the U.S.
Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics),
and real aggregate spending levels have increased steadily at about
10% annually over the last 30 years, to $231.5 billion in 1993. In
addition, over $24 billion is spent annually on private schools.
Although funding per student and absolute spending is increasing, a
smaller percentage of those funds is reaching the classroom.

http://www.lp.org/press/archive.php?...iew&record=315

September 12, 1997

Libertarian Party asks: Why is Congress sending its children to
private schools in record numbers?

WASHINGTON, DC -- Public schools: They're good enough for your kids --
but don't expect a Congressman to send his kids there.
That's what a new study from the Heritage Foundation reveals -- that
U.S. Senators are four times more likely than average Americans to
send their children to private school, and U.S. House members are
three times more likely.

"Congressmen get a failing grade when it comes to confidence in public
schools," said Steve Dasbach, the national chairman of the Libertarian
Party. "When they get a chance to vote with their children's
education, they vote against government-run schools."

The Heritage Foundation found that only 14% of Americans send their
children to private schools -- but a whopping 50% of U.S. Senators do
so, and 34.4% of U.S. House members. (The survey measured Congressmen
who responded, and who have school-age children.)

"Congress thinks government-run schools are a great idea for your kids
-- but not for theirs," said Dasbach. "For members of Congress, the
three R's of education are not reading, 'riting, and 'rithmetic --
they're retreating, requiring, and rejecting...

"Congressmen are retreating to private schools, requiring us to pay
for a failing government-run school system -- and rejecting the notion
that they're hypocrites for doing so," he said.

Ironically, noted Dasbach, those Congressmen who know the most about
government-run schools avoid them most fervently. A full 40% of the
members of the House Education Committee send their children to
private schools.

"And no wonder. They're in a position to see exactly how bad
government-run schools really are," he said. "The message from these
Congressmen is: We like the public school system so much that we'll
tax you billions of dollars to pay for it; we'll pass laws to mandate
standardized national testing and curriculums; and we'll increase the
Department of Education's budget every year. But we don't like public
schools enough to send our children there."

snip

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Gunner has been busy LOL

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not
either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union
without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by
freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by
freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do
about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps
to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not
believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I
shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more
whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause." -- Abe
Lincoln