Posted to alt.home.repair
Everett M. Greene Everett M. Greene is offline

Default Drilling holes in load bearing beams

"Rick" writes:
"MartyZ" wrote
| I need to run wiring for my home entertainment setup thru
| an exterior wall. This is obviously a load bearing wall
| and I assume that it's 2x6 beams, I am not sure what the
| code is in NJ. This is the first floor of a two story
| house and I wood need to drill holes in approximately 3
| beems to go across a four foot span. I would appreciate
| any advice on if I can drill or notch the beams and to what
| extent. Also these beams are above a or notch the beams
| and to what extent. Also these beams are above a window,
| so I would also have a header beam to contend with. I
| appreciate all advice.

in a 2x6 you can drill a hole up to 7/8" in the center of
the stud but not more than 2 consecutive studs but you can
not drill a hole through a header.

Since when can't you drill through a header? Somewhere,
sometime, some place, someone has to go through a header
with something.

you are better off drilling down into the bottom plate and
back up in a different bay.

If it were significant, going through a sill plate would
be worse than going through a header.

As for drilling through (horizontal) beams, drilling on the
neutral axis (center) of the beam does minimal harm to the
strength of the beam. Some (all?) manufactured trusses
have prepunched holes of about 1-1/2" diameter at regular
intervals along the length.