Posted to alt.home.repair
Everett M. Greene Everett M. Greene is offline

Default 3/4" or 1" copper water main pipe?

"BobK207" writes:
Dan_Musicant wrote:
On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 03:17:41 -0600, wrote:
:"Eric in North TX" wrote:
: btw I had to talk my neighbor out of using 1.25" for his main line
:
: cheers
: Bob
:
:Why? 3" would be ok if cost was no object. While it will still only
:flow to the limit of the smallest restriction, the volume of water
:"stored" in the big pipe would still help.

:OI missed the first part of this thread, but if this is just an
:average home, 3/4" in the norm, from the meter into the house. One
:inch is common from the water main (in the street) into the home and
:up tp the meter.

Average house = ? Maybe min'e pretty average (I'm the OP). The house is
1925 square feet, with 2 baths, a laundry room and average sized yard.
I'm sure 3/4" is fine for me, but whoever moves in after me, who knows?
Maybe 3/4" from meter to house plumbing is perfectly adequate. In terms
of flow, I suppose it is. I figure the interior cross section is 2.25
times that of 1/2" pipe, and on top of that the previous 1/2" pipe is
undoubtely quite corroded on the interior. Yes, some of that will have
sloughed off but I'm guessing that the resistance to flow is greater
than for new galvanized 1/2" pipe.

I figure probably the best argument for 1" would be that the water flow
would be slower and thus the noise of the water flow would be reduced
over 3/4". So I'm told. To me, it's theoretical at this point, but I'm
still in a position to ask for 1" over 3/4". The work isn't to begin
until at least tomorrow.

Choose 1", you'll be be happy & never have an issue with it.

Type L minimum, (Type K is better but probably un-necessary overkill)

My 1" Type L main line has been in the ground in Orange county CA since
1980; great flow, no issues.

Cheers
Bob

I haven't looked at prices, but the difference in cost
between 1" and 3/4" is probably minimal. Who knows if
some day someone will want the higher flow? It's far
cheaper to install the larger line now that it will be
to dig it up and increase the size.

BTW: Is PVC a desired/allowed alternative?