Posted to alt.home.repair
MiamiCuse MiamiCuse is offline

Default Paint Peeling

Norminn wrote:
clipped

Thanks. I will check with BM and see what they say.

However, the contractor is reluctant to do any "free work" as he calls it.
He said the paint can fail due to hundreds of reasons and many of those are
beyond his control...I don't think there is any hope that I will be able to
get him to fix it, and if I pay him more, he will just pile another bad job
on one that is already bad.

Question now is what I need to do to repair this. Do I pressure wash the
wall again and have it repainted? Or can I spot treat?

Thanks,

MC

I would not pressure wash again on a new paint job. Chalking will come
off with brush and plain household cleaner; be sure to rinse and let
dry. You have CB and stucco?

Is this painter working alone? Recent import? You just need to visit BM
website to see that what his says is pure baloney. ALL the reasons for
failure are his to control, unless the surface is in such bad condition
that it will not support a coat of paint. In that case, too, he just
should not put paint on it. My guess is that he primed the day he pw,
and/or painted with sun beating on the surface. South or west side of
house the worst?

The side that is showing the problem is the west side. I did not see
any peeling on the north side or the south side yet, also east side
seemed ok.

The west side however, has peelings near the bottom of the wall, about
1 foot up from the ground. Several spots, and some other spots at the
same height, has bubbles that when touched, feel spongy. I am sure if
I use a wire brush they will all come off easy. Near the top of the
wall are more pealings, there is no eave at the top of the wall,
because the wall protrudes above the roof. There are more visible
peelings near the top but I have not yet inspected those.

Yes it is CB and Stucco, in hot and humid Miami.

Thanks for the reply.

MC