Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default how to make sure that driveway does not crack

Ignoramus21090 wrote:
I am thinking about hiring a concrete company to redo out driveway and
other concrete work. What I really want is that the driveway should
stay level and crack-free for years, as cracks seriously nterfere
with my material handling. How would I ensure that? Is that a matter
of putting more gravel, more concrete, different concrete, or what?

thanks

First a very good foundation. What this means depends on where you are
the the local soil conditions, but don't skimp.

Next make it thick enough. When in doubt go thicker.

Add rebar -wire. Very important

Use a strong mix. Not all concrete is created equal. You can order
different qualities.

Have someone who really knows what they are doing put it in. Over
working or under working it when it is put in will result in poor surface
strength and you will get scaling in a year or two.

In short, there is not one factor, it is all well known and it all adds
up to a quality job. Cost more now less in the long run.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit