Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default Authentic Reproduction 18th Century Wood Lathe

John
Sorry to have missed you. Next time try and stop in. There is always wood in
the pile that needs a new home and coffee is generally close to hand.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

"John" wrote in message
You know, it crossed my mind as I was there to drop by and say hello and
thanks for the info about the Oland tool but we were running late for the
ferry to PEI, (little did we realize that the published schedule
represented approximate departure times), and after all it was a Sunday. I
figured on that particular day of the week you were earning your keep
rather than playing in your woodshop. :-)

Stunningly beautiful countryside up there.

And thanks for the info about the Oland. It's a heavy beast but it works
well.

J.

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
J.
About Nova Scotia, my province :-) , when we lived in Sherbrooke Village
we rented for the first year a house in the Historic Village, a working
1750's vintage replica. There was a woodturning shop there for the chair
maker, Rick Lair. He made great Windsor chairs, as in he has one in the
permanent exhibition of wood in Ottawa. The lathes in the shop were all
treadle lathes including a 19th century one that Rick had picked up and
converted from metal to wood working. I am not sure what is available to
the public now in the turning department what with all the cut backs and
budget stuff, but it was great then. Rick is no longer there. He is now
in charge of wood products for Parks Canada.