Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John John is offline

Default Authentic Reproduction 18th Century Wood Lathe

You know, it crossed my mind as I was there to drop by and say hello and
thanks for the info about the Oland tool but we were running late for
the ferry to PEI, (little did we realize that the published schedule
represented approximate departure times), and after all it was a Sunday.
I figured on that particular day of the week you were earning your keep
rather than playing in your woodshop. :-)

Stunningly beautiful countryside up there.

And thanks for the info about the Oland. It's a heavy beast but it works
well.

J.

Darrell Feltmate wrote:
J.
About Nova Scotia, my province :-) , when we lived in Sherbrooke Village we
rented for the first year a house in the Historic Village, a working 1750's
vintage replica. There was a woodturning shop there for the chair maker,
Rick Lair. He made great Windsor chairs, as in he has one in the permanent
exhibition of wood in Ottawa. The lathes in the shop were all treadle lathes
including a 19th century one that Rick had picked up and converted from
metal to wood working. I am not sure what is available to the public now in
the turning department what with all the cut backs and budget stuff, but it
was great then. Rick is no longer there. He is now in charge of wood
products for Parks Canada.