Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Using a washing machine with no plumbing available?

On Sun, 7 Jan 2007 21:38:12 -0000 someone who may be "xena"
wrote this:-

What about the discharge - can I put that into the ditch?

Not legally.

We have a septic tank system,

The typical septic tank can cope with a limited amount of clothes
washing chemicals, but not too much as that would kill off some of
the little things that do the work. It would be worthwhile doing
more research on how big your existing installation is and how it is
loaded. There may well be chemicals more suited to septic tanks too.

so not sure if our surface water goes into that,

Hopefully not. If it did it would reduce the capacity of the septic
tank and there is no reason to put surface water into a septic tank
anyway.

What comes out of a washing machine is not surface water.

or straight into the ditch.

Hopefully the surface water goes into something suitable for it,
which may be a ditch.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh