Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default Paint Peeling

Location is Miami Florida so it is hot and humid but it was done in late
November so not so hot.

I was not there when they did the prime and painting so I don't know how
long they waited between coats and whether sufficient time past before they
prime after pressure washing the walls.

I do know now that I peeled back the paint, below it seems like some chalky
material. So I believe it is the breakdown of the old paint. that may not
have been properly removed from the pressure wash. I called him back and he
saw it and said it can be from the rain (we did not have much rain since
November...but if this is due to rain imagine what would happen when it
pours every day in the summer!)

He wants to spot fix them by sanding down, reprime and repaint. But he
wants to charge me for material (new paint new prime...) and labor (but with
a discount) so the total he wants to charge me now is $200, which is not a
lot of $, but then what if I have more spots next month, and the one after
that? He says he guarantees his work and will always come back, but he will
charge me to fix his mistake!

I am not sure whether I should throw more good money after bad, or find
another solution.

MC

"buffalobill" wrote in message
oups.com...
in buffalo ny: we do most of the painting here in the summer on dry
days with low humidity. after a washing unless surface is perfect allow
3 or more days ( or even more especially for wood clapboards) to dry
out. what is your climate? if humidity or greasy exhaust deposits might
not be the problem perhaps it was applied onto a surface that was too
warm. next time try to paint the shady side of the house if possible.
lots of specific info on paint cans and mfg websites. dampness in the
walls from bad gutters? top coat applied before lower coat dried?

MiamiCuse wrote:
I hired someone to paint the exterior of my house.

The contract called for repairing cracks/chips and cleaning exterior
walls, cleaning exterior walls with TSP, pressure washing exterior walls,
prime with one coat of "One coat of Benjamin Moore Exterior 100% acrylic
primer FRESH START" then two coats of "Two coats of Benjamin Moore Flat
Exterior 100% acrylic paint".

I was not home to inspect the progress of the job but I did check it
every day at the end of the day.

The work was done in November 2006 (less than two months ago) and now I
see paint peeling on the exterior walls near where there are corners.
Not everywhere but may be about fifteen spots are peeling, also had a
couple places I see shallow "bubbles" and when I press I feel it being
spongy.

I am not sure what happened. When I inspected the peeled paint, I only
see one coat of paint, but I am not so familiar with painting that it
would be obvious if there were two coats, I just sort of expected two
layers of peeled paint. I did ask the contractor and he assured me two
coats were applied. So is it possible the surface preparations were not
done properly?

Any advise?

MC
------=_NextPart_000_002F_01C731D9.2D1DA410

!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
HTMLHEAD
META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"
META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2963" name=GENERATOR
STYLE/STYLE
/HEAD
BODY bgColor=#ffffff background=""FONT size=2I hired someone to paint
the
exterior of my house.BRBRThe contract called for repairing
cracks/chips and
cleaning exterior walls, cleaning exterior walls with TSP, pressure
washing
exterior walls, prime with one coat of "One coat of Benjamin Moore
Exterior 100%
acrylic primer FRESH START" then two coats of "Two coats of Benjamin
Moore Flat
Exterior 100% acrylic paint".BRBRI was not home to inspect the
progress of
the job but I did check it every day at the end of the day.BRBRThe
work was
done in November 2006 (less than two months ago) and now I see paint
peeling on
the exterior walls near where there are corners.  Not everywhere but
may be
about fifteen spots are peeling, also had a couple places I see shallow
"bubbles" and when I press I feel it being spongy.BRBRI am not sure
what
happened.  When I inspected the peeled paint, I only see one coat of
paint,
but I am not so familiar with painting that it would be obvious if there
were
two coats, I just sort of expected two layers of peeled paint.  I
did ask
the contractor and he assured me two coats were applied.  So is it
possible
the surface preparations were not done properly?BRBRAny
advise?BRBRMC/FONT/BODY/HTML

------=_NextPart_000_002F_01C731D9.2D1DA410--