Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 3/4" or 1" copper water main pipe?

Dan_Musicant wrote:
On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 03:17:41 -0600, wrote:

:OI missed the first part of this thread, but if this is just an
:average home, 3/4" in the norm, from the meter into the house. One
:inch is common from the water main (in the street) into the home and
:up tp the meter.

Average house = ? Maybe min'e pretty average (I'm the OP). The house is
1925 square feet, with 2 baths, a laundry room and average sized yard.
I'm sure 3/4" is fine for me, but whoever moves in after me, who knows?
Maybe 3/4" from meter to house plumbing is perfectly adequate. In terms
of flow, I suppose it is. I figure the interior cross section is 2.25
times that of 1/2" pipe, and on top of that the previous 1/2" pipe is
undoubtely quite corroded on the interior. Yes, some of that will have
sloughed off but I'm guessing that the resistance to flow is greater
than for new galvanized 1/2" pipe.

I figure probably the best argument for 1" would be that the water flow
would be slower and thus the noise of the water flow would be reduced
over 3/4". So I'm told. To me, it's theoretical at this point, but I'm
still in a position to ask for 1" over 3/4". The work isn't to begin
until at least tomorrow.

Dan

:On 5 Jan 2007 10:16:25 -0800, "Eric in North TX"
:wrote:
:
: btw I had to talk my neighbor out of using 1.25" for his main line
:
: cheers
: Bob
:
:Why? 3" would be ok if cost was no object. While it will still only
:flow to the limit of the smallest restriction, the volume of water
:"stored" in the big pipe would still help.

Bigger is always better, on round stuff the actual flow area goes up
dramatically with even a small diameter increase.