Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Outside antenna rotator question...

Beachcomber wrote:
If I were you, I would check on what your local stations plans are for
DTV (digital television conversion). The current NTSC analog/hybrid
TV system as we know it is scheduled for shutdown on Feb. 17, 2009
(This does not necessarily apply to translators, but it does apply to
full power stations). You could be making a big investment for
nothing. You will also need to buy a new tv or a DTV signal
convertor.

Over the air reception of terrrestrial DTV signals is possible. You
may need a different antenna though and the TV stations new digital
transmitters may not be located at the same site as their current
transmitters. Every locality will be somewhat different.

We're only talking $100 or so for an antenna, looks like might be maybe
$200 max for the rotor w/ the IR repeater, so it's not a huge
investment, certainly. If I do forego the rotor, not at all bad.

The 2009 date is still two years away and I personally kinda' doubt it
will actually come to pass then, anyway, but whatever is available then
to deal with it will undoubtedly be better and cheaper and less of a
risk then than now. I think it highly unlikely the locations of the
translators will change (as in zero probability -- they cover the area
now and there are now other sizable population centers other than where
they currently are and overall the area population is declining, not
increasing, except for a few counties.

Just my opinion here... With all of these changes coming in the next
two years, the satellite dish doesn't sound like a bad option.

I think it just as good an option to wait and see what actually
transpires. (Best laid plans, and all... )

You say you can't get a clear shot of the southern sky. Are there
mountains in Wichita? The look angle is pretty high and unless you
have trees everywhere on your property, it should be possible in most
situations to get a clear shot at the satellite.

There are the Wichita Mountains, but that's different...

We're actually 250 miles roughly from Wichita itself, but that's where
the main stations for the translators are located. And, yes, it's
pretty non-mountainous. I used to tell folks in TN our definition of a
hill was couldn't see car coming down the road, and a BIG hill was
couldn't see a combine. It's actually slightly closer straight-line
distance to Denver and/or Amarillo than Wichita.

That isn't exactly what I said -- what I said was the current antenna
mounting location didn't have clear access which is a different
limitation. I'm not particularly interested in moving the antenna
tower at present and have an aversion against mounting stuff on the
house and the pumphouse which would be a convenient location for power
and orientation is far enough from the house (at least until perhaps
new technology might eliminate it) would need additional equipment plus
the effort of burying feed line, etc., as I don't want any more
overhead wires that it just isn't an effort I want to invest in at
least at the present time...