Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John Grossbohlin John Grossbohlin is offline

Default Authentic Reproduction 18th Century Wood Lathe

"John" wrote in message
Gee, I've been to Williamsburg a few times and I never had an inkling of
their toolmaking operation. I guess I was too busy ogling the period
shops... When I get over this cold and get my voice back I'll give them a
call, and ditto for EAIA. Thanks!

We were kicking the idea of the pole lathe around but some folks were very
concerned that the mistake you make just once in your career --
accidentally cutting the drive cord -- might injure someone on snapback.

The tool making operation is generally not open to the public so it isn't
something you would have found on their map!

Having worked on a spring pole lathe at Williamsburg (there used to be a
couple behind the Hay Cabinet Shop) I don't see that cutting the cord would
cause any harm to anyone. The pole would whip up but I'd hope that visitors
would be kept back from the lathe while in use and the pole wouldn't be in
line with the turner in any configuration I've seen.

Of course having worked in front of the public at Williamsburg I've come to
understand that you can NEVER underestimate the ignorance of the visitors--I
had people try to pick up items that they had just watched me heat up red
hot and hammer at the forge and I had a woman come up and sit on the
chopping block while I was splitting a walnut log. I guess the concepts of
flesh-melting-hot and cut-your-arm-off sharp tools aren't common knowledge
today. ;~)

John