Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Using a washing machine with no plumbing available?

xena wrote:
I want to use an old washing machine that is in our barn for washing
all the dirty horse/dog towels and other dirty stuff. We have
electricity in the barn, but no plumbing.

Would it be possible to rig up some sort of system like having 2 black
dustbins either side of it - one for clean water and one for
discharged water? Does the machine suck in water or does it need to
be pressurised? Any ideas what sort of pressure (if required) - I
have a 1000 litre IBC outside the barn which can produce a fair bit
of pressure when full - would I be better using that as the supply?

Yes, providing the head of water doesn't drop too low it should be
fine...bad things might happen if it drys up completely though, so you may
want to top it up from time to time

Can I use rainwater for washing (it's breaking the machine I'm
worried about - not the cleanliness of the rinse)?

Yes, although I would filter it first

What about the discharge - can I put that into the ditch? We have a
septic tank system, so not sure if our surface water goes into that,
or straight into the ditch. Or should I put it down an internal
"dirty water" drain?
Many thanks for any comments!

If you can get the waste into a drain, then use that, if not, the septic
tank...don't have it going directly into the ditch or the EA may want a word
in your shell-like