Posted to uk.d-i-y
J J is offline

Default Smell from fire

"Peter Lynch" wrote in message
On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 17:59:33 GMT, J wrote:
Hi,

We've recently moved into a house built in 2000, with a decorative effect
gas fire in the living room. Firstly, we've noticed a cold draught coming
into the room from down the flue. Secondly, after using the fire for
fifteen
minutes or so, there's a smell in the room. The smell isn't gas, or what
would consider fumes. But it's not pleasant.

Could the smell be due to a dead bird/animal in the flue? As the fire
warms it up, it starts to whiff. Normally any smell would go up the
chimney, but it may be your downdraught blows the smell into the room.

Looking at the top of the chimney, it's only a vent in design, rather than
being open topped and I doubt anything could get down there. Saying that
though, my Dad found a dead sparrow under the bath once, and we cound't find
any way for it to have got under there!

Thanks for your reply.