Posted to alt.home.repair

Default warped table leaf

"arzig1" wrote in message
news:49f7ef9b6a190dcd1a582787dd1a2e67@homerepairli ve.com...
i have a leaf from an oak dining room table that has warped very
noticeably. i have no way to replace it. does anyone have any ideas as to
how to straighten it out? please e-mail at .

Only two, neither very painless, and it may be cheaper to buy a new table at
local upper-end used furniture place:

1. See if local custom wood furniture repair shop has a steamer, and can get
it flexible, and dry it back out while keeping it clamped flat. Of course,
if it gets damp again, it may curl right back up. Refinishing the leaf, and
probably the entire table to match, will be called for. For a dining table,
I'd figure a hundred bucks minimum, based on stuff I have had done before.

2. Gusset the bottom with a steel or aluminum plate that is stronger than
the wood, and lotsa short screws. This will likely require notching out the
pull-apart rails so it can sit flat. On garage floor or other hard flat
spot, lay down a plywood scrap, put the leaf upside down over it, lay the
gusset plate over that, and stack weight on it till it goes flat. Then,
working around the weights, start drilling and screwing. Remove weights, and
if it doesn't curl right back up, add more screws where the weights were.

aem sends...