Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John John is offline

Default Authentic Reproduction 18th Century Wood Lathe

Thanks. It's worth a call or a letter just the same.

J.

wrote:
Hi John

Fort William by Thunder Bay, has a lot of old equipment and knowledge,
I have been there, and they do have a lathe, but I don't remember if
this was still a original one or build to old specs.

Here's a link
http://www.fwhp.ca/take_a_tour.html

There was a wheelwright -- wagon maker living across from the place I
was born and grew-up, there was an old wood lathe, used a wagon wheel
as flywheel, I know they used it with 2 persons, one powering the wheel
and one turning, even though I don't recall ever seeing them using it.
I think that most of those lathes were home build on site, and the
flywheel use was preferred over the pole lathe, for the continues
direction made turning easier and faster.
I don't think the lathe is still there, as the last owner of the shop
past away a few years ago, and the house and shop was sold I think.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo