Posted to alt.home.repair
JLagg JLagg is offline

Default Adding a basement to an existing house?

George E. Cawthon wrote:
JLagg wrote:
Just curious as to the probability of adding a basement to an existing
house. It was built in 55 and is a ranch style single story 3 bedroom
1000 sq. It has a 3 ft crawl space all the way around. I have a drywell
and well also, no city pumbing at all. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

It is done a lot around here. How easy it is to
dig depends on the construction. If you have a
post and beam support system, you will need to put
large beams across the current beams. A more
common older system with a large beam through the
center may be easier. My father did this to about
two-thirds of his two story house and I helped him
mix and pour a good deal of the concrete for the
walls.

The cost here is very reasonable. Amazing how
much even just one hard working person can do in a
day. If I remember correctly, a friend of mine
had his dug out in about 2 weeks, ready to pour
concrete walls. You just need to find someone who
does this type of work.

A major consideration is the soil. Digging is
easy if it is fairly soft, impossible if the house
is above solid rock or large boulders. A second
consideration drainage and the the water table;
you don't want a basement floor that is below the
water table.

Good Luck!

Wow thanks everybody for the great insight on my thoughts of adding a
basement. Very much appreciated. It really is an interesting subject
and i now believe I have been talked out of it! whew, I have a well
that is only 50' down and there is a lot of sand in my area. And now
that I think about it my neighbors house does have a bit of an odor as
you walk in. Bought the place in 78 and swore i would move in 5 years
as that was my very first house. Next place I get will definitely have
a basement already there