Posted to alt.home.repair
krw krw is offline

Default anyonme sell brand new main fuse panels\?

In article ,
says...
krw wrote:
In article 5TWnh.744$%Q4.504@trnddc06,

says...

wrote:

On 6 Jan 2007 05:57:06 -0800, "
wrote:

=

The worst thing about fuses was that half the boxes in the world
have oversized fuses. Not too long ago I did a little plumbing
repair for a local store. I went in the basement and noticed that
the fuse box had all green fuses. Yeah, 30amp fuses feeding all
#14 wires. I mentioned this to the owner, and he said if they use
smaller fuses they blow all the time. I explained to him the
danger of fire, damage to the wiring, and other problems, I made
sure he was aware of the dangers. When I finished telling him, he
said he was not worried about it, because they have used 30A fuses
in there for the last 50 years. So much for safety. Thats the
biggest downfall of fuses. The fusestats were an improvement but
they cost more and tended to get stuck at times. When the cheaper
brands of breakers sell for less than $5 each, why even bother with
fuses.

Yeah EVERY friend of mine with fuses has those nice green ones on 14
gauge wire.

my point is that fuses are functionally obsolete and panels should be
replaced whenever possible

If they made 100A fuses, people would use them......

Same with breakers though; nothing to stop one from putting in 30A breakers
where 15s belong; end of annoying breaker trips. It really makes no
difference to those who don't care.

If you didn't have to pull the cover off the panel and get down
dirty with a screwdriver, you'd have a point. Most homeowners are
scared ****less of what's inside the panel so do go there. Fuses
are intended to be replaced by homeowners. Breakers are not.

I think most people who are willing to improvise with fuses will also be
willing to do so with breakers.

I think you're nutz. I've never heard of *anyone* putting a penny
in a breaker box.

--

Keith