Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default Paint Peeling

I hired someone to paint the exterior of my house.

The contract called for repairing cracks/chips and cleaning exterior walls, cleaning exterior walls with TSP, pressure washing exterior walls, prime with one coat of "One coat of Benjamin Moore Exterior 100% acrylic primer FRESH START" then two coats of "Two coats of Benjamin Moore Flat Exterior 100% acrylic paint".

I was not home to inspect the progress of the job but I did check it every day at the end of the day.

The work was done in November 2006 (less than two months ago) and now I see paint peeling on the exterior walls near where there are corners. Not everywhere but may be about fifteen spots are peeling, also had a couple places I see shallow "bubbles" and when I press I feel it being spongy.

I am not sure what happened. When I inspected the peeled paint, I only see one coat of paint, but I am not so familiar with painting that it would be obvious if there were two coats, I just sort of expected two layers of peeled paint. I did ask the contractor and he assured me two coats were applied. So is it possible the surface preparations were not done properly?

Any advise?

MC