Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adding a basement to an existing house?

"JLagg" wrote in message
ups.com...
Just curious as to the probability of adding a basement to an existing
house. It was built in 55 and is a ranch style single story 3 bedroom
1000 sq. It has a 3 ft crawl space all the way around. I have a drywell
and well also, no city pumbing at all. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

Expensive. Two ways to do it. One it to move the house off the foundation,
dig the basement, pour the walls, etc, then move the house back. Another is
to cut a hole in the floor and start digging by hand and bucket the dirt
away.

I just has to be cheaper to move to another house, but maybe you have
special circumstances. I can see it costing 100k to do this, but it also
spends on the type of soil, ground water table, etc. It may be a better
investment, not cheaper, just to build a new house and tear down the old.