Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Alasdair Campbell Alasdair Campbell is offline

Default SHARP 28JW-73H - - Need Help with Service Mode Adjustments

Hey there everyone,

I recently aquired a SHARP 28JW-73H 16:9 100Hz CRT TV through the wonderful
freeshare network of Glasgow, Scotland. When I got it back to my house
following a fairly benign car journey the TV would occasionally show a green
cast, other times showing a perfect picture. Cycling the power button would
normally fix this. The problem got worse, for no obvious reason until the
image was always green cast.

Anyway to cut a long story short, found the service for the Sharp GA-200
chassis, got into it's service mode to see if there was any 'return to
factory defaults' or similar option, messed around (Uh oh!) with the options
for {R,G,B} Gain & Cutoff to no avail, then read about degausing the screen
with another CRT monitor. I was dubious as I'd heard the TV degausing a few
times since the problem appeared. Tried it and it seemed to solve the green
cast - now it was blue! ;-)

Went back into the Service mode and set Gain & cut off to similar values for
both R,G & B. Cycled the power button and first thing I saw was strong blue
cast on picture, then 4 or 5 diagonal blue lines with blue cast, then good
picture; albeit flickering maybe 2 or 3 times a second.

The flicker seems to take the blacks in the image and give them a
purple/blue tint for the duration. Whites are largely unaffected.

As I'm very close to a perfect image I don't want to mess with things _too
much_ though it seems like I should investigate the Cutoff & Gain options
for the Blue emitter?

I've searched for help on what these actually mean but I'm still fairly
clueless.

Any suggestions?

Alasdair