Posted to alt.home.repair
Puddin' Man Puddin' Man is offline

Default B&D Dustbuster, Spotliter battery replacement

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 13:20:33 -0500, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

wrote:
Your fault may not be the battery pack,but perhaps a bad switch.

Lost me here. I flip the switch, it closes the circuit.

It opens the motor circuit and simultaneously closes the recharge
circuit. The problem with the B&D dustbuster switch is that the
recharge connection doesn't always make a proper connection so
that many times the Ni-Cads go uncharged.

Yes, I've had that problem a time or 2 in past years.

It's not the problem I described at all.

My curious mind wonders why that switch has to disconnect the recharge
circuit?

That makes 2 of us ...

Our Dustbuster doesn't do that. But it's about 15 years old and I've
changed the NiCads about three times now, using those tabbed cells from
Radio Shack. (Takes a bit of soldering though.)

Yeah, I've done that with a little Norelco trimmer. RS finally
pulled the battery, I ordered 1 more from the inet.

Mine recharges when it's hung on its wall rack and since there's a diode
in the charging path inside it you wouldn't do anything bad if you
accidently shorted the two charging contacts on its underside with the
motor running or not.

As near as I can tell, my DB is charging OK.

Pease pudding hot,
Pease pudding cold,
Pease pudding in the pot
Nine days old ...