Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Don't I need junction boxes?

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 16:48:19 -0500, Jeff Wisnia

DAC wrote:

YES!

Disconnect the circuit immediately and do it properly. You have
exposed hot terminals on the back side which bring along fire hazards
as their companion.

Don't let that man in the house again.

On Jan 5, 8:15 am, "BETA-32" wrote:

I just had a handyman-type person wire and install some very basic lights in
the basement of my home. The lights fixtures are just the very basic round
white plastic ones where a light bulb screws in. What he did was screw the
white plastic fixtures directly onto the ceiling joists with no junction
boxes or mounting boxes. The wires run along the joists and under the white
plastic fixture to the contacts.

I assume that's wrong and doesn't meet electrical codes. Am I right about
that?

And, yes, I know I should have a licensed electrician, etc., etc.

If you put it into a box yourself you also need to be sure he didn't
switch the black and white wires. The black wire should be on the
darker screw and the white wire on the lighter screw.

And check the OTHER ends of those wires too.

Jeff

If the black & white wires are reversed at the source, the right way
to connect them becomes the wrong way.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"Properly read, the Bible is the most potent
force for atheism ever conceived." -- Isaac Asimov