Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JANA JANA is offline

Default sony kv32xbr55 - Left side of screen is totally green until warmed up, then OK

Most likely defective caps in the horizontal scan area, or in the blanking
circuits. If you use an ESR meter on all the caps, you will probably find
the defective one. Considering the age of the set, you will most likely find
many caps that are high in their ESR spec. You may end up changing a dozen
or more caps if you go through the complete set.

Most of these thermo type problems are from caps starting to go defective.

To troubleshoot the set with a scope and meter, you will need the service
manuals to be able to determine where you are going, and what you are
looking for. This method would also be very time consuming.

Personaly, with a set that old, I would be out shopping for a new LCD type.

--

JANA
_____

"G.M. Durrence" wrote in message
I have a sony kv32xbr55, around 13 years old that still has a good
picture when working. It suddenly developed a problem that occurs
when first turned on. The left 1/4 of the screen is green from top to
bottom. It is a band that has strait edges on the left and right. It
usually clears up after about 30 minutes. Before clearing up, the
green band starts breaking up with horizontal lines all across the
screen. After clearing up it works OK for hours, until turned off.

Can anyone offer a clue about what might be causing this? I got an
estimate of $250 to repair but I would rather put that on a new
flat-panel LCD. I am an experienced electronics technician and handy
with an oscilloscope but I am hoping someone might have experienced
this problem and save me a lot of time.

Thanks for any help.
G.M. Durrence
(to reply remove -nospam from address)