Posted to rec.woodworking
bent bent is offline

Default Craftsman Compucarver Machine

I'm not even gonna read the other posts. If it has any uses for anyone I'd
say it is a step in the right direction. At that price, I wish they made
all tools with nc, cnc, dnc capability. I don't know what tools it can
use, and I don't know what z- axis travel it has, and I don' t know what x
and y axis travel it has. The accuracy and repeatability wouldn't neeed to
be tremendous and it would sure be a time saver. The whole theory is not
gimmickry, there is beyond belief potential, but most wouldn't go for it, or
even consider learning it. It could be taught easily. Not is not a comment
on Crafstman. For both metal and wood industries there is a well
established language(s) to get these kind of things up and running, and
doing various things, and the APT or graphics part just does in visually, it
still still spits out the same code language, called post processing.
ANSI/EIA RS-274-D-1980 (G code). In industries that actually need this
technology, this would be kind of a paperweight, but not a useless novelty.
btw, I am pretty sure this m/c's nc language is indeciferable, and
(possibly/prob) unusable. As is, prob, its potential to actually do much,
unless you actualy need to do what it does, is limited. btw, machines can
have digital potioning readout, .001 or .0001 on the machine, or add-on
readouts, and NOT at the same timne be able to control the said position.
Another major bonus on a basic tool; like if your TS told you how far from
the blade you were, say w/i 1/64".