Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Is Cabling up for Networking or Phone Systems Still Justified?

On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 14:42:49 +0000, Andy Hall

On 2007-01-06 12:48:53 +0000, T i m said:

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 14:56:50 +0000, Andy Hall
wrote:

Where a physical card has to be installed in a PC or equivalent, there are
the usual possible issues with drivers, interrupt conflicts

"interrupt conflicts", now those were the days ;-)

They still are. Even now there are cases where some devices will happily
share an interrupt with some drivers on some operating systems but
others won't.

Well of course, but I would offer the instances are still rare
compared with the 'requirement' to actually set resources as we had to
in the olden days? ie, I can't remember having any real / hard
'conflicts' within the last ~50 PC's I've built over the last ~7 years
(just lucky maybe)? ;-)

Handy though I was with jumpers, links and dip switches the advent of
real PnP (after the interim 'plug and pray') did away with much of
what made many of us 'different' for any other would be PC builder,
that and understanding the difference between, conventional, upper,
high, extended, expanded memory of course ;-)

"Hmm, now I can't put that Adaptec 1542B on IRQ5 and DMA3 as that will
conflict with ... "

Yes, although PnP still really isn't a panacea.

Indeed. But what used to be the issue of 'is IRQX free' is now 'can we
still get that type of memory' or 'have you tried this weeks driver'
... or 'what on earth is that connector for!?' ;-)

All the best ..

T i m