Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great Tom The Great is offline

Default Alum. wiring/ GFI's

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 13:44:46 -0800, (Liza Rhoades)
wrote:

Looking at a 1957 rancher. Was aluminum wiring common in the 50's.? I
will check it out further myself.

And...Most of the outlets are 2 prong. If I put a GFI at the head of
the curcuit will that protect the downstream outlets so I can replace
with 3 prong?

Thanks for any input. Will return later to check any replies.

IMHO:

You need to verify whether or not you have AL wiring, before
purchasing anything for it. Many device manufacturers do not design
for AL wiring.

As for the age of the house, for me, it's not the construction date,
but was the home around for the AL branch wiring to be put in by a
DIY'er.

Get a qualified electrician to evaluate the wiring system, or check
back with your home inspection report.

tom @
www.FindMeShelter.com