Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great Tom The Great is offline

Default Don't I need junction boxes?

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 17:45:57 -0500, "BETA-32"
wrote:

Thanks to everyone. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

But here's the stupid part (on my end). It's actually an empty house that
he is working on for me. I went there today to do some work and when he
showed up I mentioned, "Don't the lights need to have junction boxes?" He
said, yes, and he had brought the junction boxes with him. He had just
screwed them to the joists temporarily so he could mostly finish the job
before leaving, then was coming back today to do the rest and brought the
junction boxes with him.

IMHO:

Oh, so these could have been temp feston lighting?

Just as a general rule, if your contractor ignores basic safety, not
suggesting this is the case here since no photos and not there, you
might want to second check his work. Some people 'forget' to fix temp
work later, and it becomes permenant.

tom @ www.WorkAtHomePlans.com

"BETA-32" wrote in message
news
I just had a handyman-type person wire and install some very basic lights
in the basement of my home. The lights fixtures are just the very basic
round white plastic ones where a light bulb screws in. What he did was
screw the white plastic fixtures directly onto the ceiling joists with no
junction boxes or mounting boxes. The wires run along the joists and under
the white plastic fixture to the contacts.

I assume that's wrong and doesn't meet electrical codes. Am I right about
that?

And, yes, I know I should have a licensed electrician, etc., etc.