Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom The Great Tom The Great is offline

Default Contractor question - workman's compensation

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 16:07:37 -0500, Tom The Great
wrote:

On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 12:35:22 -0800, Dan_Musicant
wrote:

I've made arrangements to have my water main replaced by a licensed
plumbing contractor in CA. I just met him last night and the work isn't
going to start for a week, so I can back out of this if I call him today
or tomorrow easily enough. I have another decent bid and I could go with
them (a pretty large company).

I just looked up his license and he's a sole owner and it says "This
license is exempt from having workers compensation insurance; they
certified that they have no employees at this time."

He said he'd try to hire a tough competent guy to help with the
trenching. What happens if that guy is hurt on the job? Am I going to be
liable?

TIA for information.

Dan

imho:

If he states one thing to one official and then another to you, could
be truthful? Based on that, you might want to rethink about the
situation. Have him furnish paper work proving his current
insurances, he might have upgraded since he started working. If not,
use common sense.

Not a Lawyer, or a legal offical.

tom @ www.MeetANewFriend.com

imho:

Just thought of something, it is possible that your plumber will 'get'
a person from a temp service. I belived they come with their own
workman's comp, since the temp help isn't hired, but leased. Kindof.
Like I said, get all the paperwork ahead of time, and verify it.

tom